Total UK personal debt at the end of December 2010 stood at £1,452bn. The twelve-month growth rate decreased 0.1 percentage points to 0.7%. Individuals currently owe more than the entire country has produced during the last four quarters.
Total lending in December 2010 fell by £0.1bn; secured lending decreased by £0.3bn in the month; consumer credit lending increased by £0.2bn (total lending in Jan 2008 grew by £8.4bn).
Total secured lending on dwellings at the end of December 2010 stood at £1,238bn. The twelve-month growth rate decreased 0.1 percentage points to 0.7%.
every 15 minutes
every 3.87 minutes
Total consumer credit lending to individuals at the end of December 2010 was £214bn. The annual growth rate of consumer credit was unchanged at 0.6%.
UK banks and building societies wrote off £9.9bn of loans to individuals in the last 12 months to end Q3 2010. In Q3 2010 they wrote off £1.83bn (£740m of that was credit card debt). This amounts to a write-off of £20.10m a day.
Average household debt in the UK is £8,480 (excluding mortgages). This figure increases to £16,307 if the average is based on the number of households who actually have some form of unsecured loan.
Average household debt in the UK is £57,608 (including mortgages). If you add to this the March 2010 budget report figure for public sector net debt (PSND) expected in 2015-16 (excluding financial interventions) then this figure rises to £109,830 per household.
Today in the UK
- 372 people every day of the year will be declared insolvent or bankrupt. This is equivalent to 1 person every 53 seconds during a working day.
- 1,716 Consumer County Court Judgements (CCJs) were issued every day during Q3 2010 and the average judgement amount was £3,312.
- The average person will save £2.73 every day.
- Citizen Advice Bureaux dealt with 9,389 new debt problems every working day in England and Wales
- The average cost of raising a child from birth to the age of 21 is £26 a day.
- 1,000 people are seeking some form of formal debt rescheduling every working day.
- 98 properties were repossessed every day during Q3 2010
- 548 new people became unemployed for more than 12 months every day during the 12 months to end November 2010
- 1,721 people reported they had become redundant every day during 3 months to end November 2010
- £203,600,000 is the amount that the Government Public Sector Net Debt (PSDN), including financial interventions, will grow today (equivalent to £2,356 per second).
- £119,450,000 is the interest the Government has to pay each day on the UKs net debt of £2322.7 bn (which includes financial interventions). This is estimated to rise to £182m a day in 2015-16.
- 207 mortgage possession claims will be issued and 154 mortgage possession orders will be made today
- 372 landlord possession claims will be issued and 248 landlord possession orders will be made today.
- The UK population is projected to grow by 1,178 people a day over the next decade
- 24.1m plastic card purchase transactions will be made today with a total value of £1.153bn.
- 7.9m cash withdrawals will be made today with a total value of £530m
- The average car will cost £16.08 to run today
This information was collected and provided by www.creditaction.org.uk.